Principal Investigator (2014-2016).
The goal of project is to examine how a dynamic, touchscreen environment may influence calculus thinking and support communication for students with diverse linguistic backgrounds.
Funded by the Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) Doctoral Fellowship ($40,000 CAD). Funding awarded for a full-time doctoral research (Oi-Lam Ng) at the Simon Fraser University.
- Ng, O. (in press). Supporting the development of bilingual learners’ mathematical discourse in a multilingual, technological context. In T. Bartell (Ed). Toward equity and social justice in mathematics education. Springer.
- Ng, O. (2018). Examining technology-mediated communication using a commognitive lens: The case of touchscreen-dragging in dynamic geometry environments. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education. Advanced online publication. doi: 10.1007/s10763-018-9910-2
- Ng, O. (2016). Comparing calculus communication across static and dynamic environments using a multimodal approach. Digital Experiences in Mathematics Education, 2(2), 115-141. doi: 10.1007/s40751-016-0014-8.
- Ng, O. (2015). The interplay between language, gestures, dragging, and diagrams in bilingual learners’ mathematical communications. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 91(3), 307-326. doi: 10.1007/s10649-015-9652-9
- Ng, O. (2017). A non-deficit view for studying bilingual learners engaging in mathematical activities with touchscreen technology. Annual AERA Conference 2017: Annual Meeting Paper. AREA Online Paper Depository: AERA.
- Ng, O., & Ferrara, F. (2014). Mathematical activities in a social learning framework: How multimodality works in a community of practice. In P. Liljedahl, C. Nicol, S. Oesterle, & D. Allan (Eds.). Proceedings of the Joint Conference of PME 38 and PMENA 36 (Vol. 3, pp.65-72). Vancouver, Canada: PME.
- Ng, O. (2014). The interplay between language, gestures, dragging, and diagrams in bilingual learners’ mathematical communications. In P. Liljedahl, C. Nicol, S. Oesterle, & D. Allan (Eds.). Proceedings of the Joint Conference of PME 38 and PMENA 36 (Vol. 4, pp.289-296). Vancouver, Canada: PME.